Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Father's Day

Cheers to you Hayden!  The father of my children, my best friend, and soulmate. (that's right, I believe in soulmates!)  Hope you have many more Father's days to feel our love and celebrate you - the man God chose for us!






Father's day weekend was much different this year - for multiple reasons.




#1 - I've been really sick with tonsillitis strep throat and didn't do much preparation for the day, let alone, feel like going anywhere.  On top of that, Hayden threw his back out 2 days before, and smashed his finger with the hammer!  We were quite the pair.  He's slow and moving like an old(er) man, and I have become an ibuprofen and popsicle junkie as I try to escape the pain in my throat. 


#2 - Hayden just got a new job in a new city on the other side of the mountains.  We are on a crunch to pack and move within the next 2 weeks. So, I've been trying not to panic as I lay in bed for the last 4/5 days thinking about all the time I'm wasting being sick and not packing! 


#3 - My Grandpa passed away about a month ago.  (yep, the sad part) On my side of the family, my Dad is an only child.  Since I was a child, just about every memorable moment has been graced by the presence of my Grandparents.  We do everything together as a family.  And, although, he was 86, and lived a beautiful life and I know he's in a better place.  The void is vast and it will take a long time to heal.  So, as we headed to my Grandma's house for Father's day yesterday I wasn't prepared for the emotional roller coaster it would send me on.  I was fine all day and hadn't even thought about how it might feel until we drove into their city and I saw the hospital sitting up on the hill.  The hospital where I, just two weeks ago, sat by his side, held his hand, kissed his sweet cheeks and where he told me he loved me...a whole bunch.  I will never forget the special time I had with him that last week.  I feel so fortunate to have had the freedom to be by his side.  Even more so, I'll never forget what a pillar he was in my life. Grief is a new emotion to me.  I feel like I've been fairly sheltered from it, and for that I'm immensly grateful.  But, I miss my Grandpa.

And, cheers to you G'pa. Thanks for setting the bar high, that your son, granddaughters and my sons could have such a great Father, Grandfather, Great-grandfather and Husband to look up to.  I miss your loving adoration and so many things. 

No comments: