Thursday, June 16, 2011

a few things we've been doing


A short update on what we've been doing for the last month or so!

The two pictures on the left (both top and bottom) are of our discovery of a "new to us" park in town that the boys have officially dubbed the Rainbow Park!  We stopped and played tag, ate ice cream bars and let them burn off a little energy before bedtime the other night!

The rest of the top row pics are at our first visit to a newly opened spray park in town.  I picked a cooler night (high 60's) and slightly drizzly and figured there wouldn't be a soul around!  We are originally Western Washingtoners after all and can handle a little rain and low temps...I was right in my prediction  about there being no one around, but my boys have acclimated to the warmer weather more than I thought!  They played, but they froze.  Phoenix just asked to be "cozy" the whole time and snuggled up in the towels and laid on the bench!  Seriously, who's kid is that? 

Oh, and snuck in there on the top row is a pic of a shelf I built on a Tuesday night (while Hayden was at youth group) out of some scrap wood.  It's rough, it's ghetto, but it's sturdy and will hold some shoes on the back porch until I can find another solution!  I was pretty proud of myself because I used a circular saw for the first time.  WOW!  That was pretty fun.  I'm looking for more scrap wood to cut now. :)

The two fishing pictures are of us at one of our new favorite weekend hangouts.  There is a great local family fishing pond in the next city over that is free for the kids to fish at and stocked with some pretty decent size trout.  We have spent quite a few afternoons there over the last few months!  It's been a fun "in town" getaway!  Just don't ask how many fish we've caught.  That's not really the point of being there!

In the middle right side of the collage is a pic of a dessert I made for our church's Memorial Day picnic.  I found the recipe on epicurious.com, one of my favorite recipe collections online.  It's a White Balsamic Custard Tart with Fresh Berry topping.  It's simple to make and really delicious!  I loved the combo of the balsamic and the berries.  It was supposed to be done in a tart pan but I didn't have one big enough so I did it in my pie plate and it turned out fine.  I would like to try it again in a tart pan though!

And the last two pics are of us camping Memorial Day weekend.  We only got out camping once last summer and we are determined to go LOTS more this summer.  We found a park about 20 minutes away from our house and managed to get the last campsite for the weekend!  We had a great time relaxing, hanging out with my awesome sister Katie and just getting some good down time away from home. 

One of my goals for summer is to make blogging a more regular thing!  Sorry for the looooonnnngg delays between posts!

2 comments:

ashley'slife said...

aww i love your family.

Sarah M. said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! I have missed your posts! ☺