Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Christmas Past

There exist so many elements to the holiday that is Christmas.  The importance and celebration of these elements varies from family to family, individual to individual. 

The birth of our Jesus.
The coming together of family and friends.
The giving of gifts.
The feasting.
The reflection of the past year.
The celebration and recognition of a new season.
The remembrance of those who have touched our lives, that no longer celebrate with us.

As I think back over the years, these different elements have come to fruition in many different ways in my heart and my life.

This year, as I prepare my home, my children and my own heart for the celebration of my Jesus, it is with a longing for what was.

As I've shared before, my Grandpa passed away in May; and as we roll through this holiday season I am reminded of the beauty and frailty of life in so many ways.  My heart aches for that man that was a pillar in my life for so long.  I would love to sit and hold his hand just a little bit longer, to kiss his weathered cheeks and hear him call me "scrounge."  I would love to see the love and delight in his eyes, just one more time, as he watches my children play...

I am thankful for the years we had with him.  I am thankful for the privilege of having a loving Grandpa.

But, I miss him, and that's just part of the journey of this life.

No comments: